There are a lot of other words to describe it but that’s the #1. Oh my God where do I start?
Spike Lee is brilliant.
Nick Cannon, Teyonah Parris, Angela Bassett, John Cusack, and Jennifer Hudson = Bra-fucking-O!
The movie was amazing and nothing, I’m sure like the negative nancies were saying it was going to be like simply because they didn’t like the name of the movie or because of their jealousy of Spike not feeling the need to ask their “permission” or input on the movie! 😒
The visuals were gorgeous!
Spike touched on so many issues:
- Gang violence and its repercussion
- The persistence of those being able say that they have one or multiple dead male family members to the gang life (I’m one!)
- The disregard of gang codes to the present acceptance for children to be sacrificed purposefully in revenge or accidentally by stray bullets
- The cycle of dysfunction with little boys following in their father’s footsteps and/or becoming fair game to other gang members to recruit and introduce to the gang life or thug life, filling their heads with false ideas of what it means to be a man because they themselves don’t know what it really means
- The heart ache of mothers having to contend with dealing with the heaviness of their child no longer being alive. Women having to contend with their husbands or boyfriends living that life, wondering if one day they’re going to get a call saying that the man is dead or in the hospital
- Gang life gives you nothing but it takes everything
- The overkill of police force in regards to Black and Brown people
- The fact that the same issues affecting the Black communities of the South side of Chicago are also plaguing other Black communities in other cities and that Chicago is not the only city with a not so great reputation and not so great nickname
Yes you will laugh at parts of the film (mostly the parts where, of course, the men were going to be pissy as shit about being cut off from any and all love loving lol, and they’re getting all He Man and trash talking due to their sexual frustration and of course want to show the women who’s boss lol) but they are far outnumbered by the parts where you will cry and/or be silently taking it all in, mesmerized.